Sunday, November 7, 2010

Throwin' some pots, no big deal.

Hi. Well, I recently started attending a pottery class on Thursday nights. It's 2 hours long so you can get some serious work done. You all should be expecting pots for Christmas (sorry for blowing the whole surprise aspect of the holiday).




THROWING IS HARD.
Let me tell you why:

1. You have to do this "centering" thing. You throw your clay down and then you basically have to get it to settle the heck down. (see above cartoon)

This entails bracing your elbow on your hip and then leaning your body weight into the clay that is near to spiraling out of control.

You're constantly re-wetting your hands because  the clay gets stuck to your hands and starts ripping clay off your mound.

Sometimes when I'm desperate I close my eyes and I have this idea that if I just think really hard the clay will be scared into submission by the intensity of my mental powers. This tactic has yet to work.

I was trying to find photos of people centering on google images but I decided not to pick one of a person because none of them seemed to exhibit the frustration, that in my mind, is paired with centering.

These were my pots after the first class:
These were my pots after the second class:
Whoever gets the one on the bottom left is a lucky relative!


Despite how difficult centering is, I look forward to Thursdays just because of how relaxing and stress relieving class is. It's amazing that even when I am focusing so hard on a pot, I'm also in deep thought about other things. Great truths have been revealed to me thus far. Well, maybe just truths- I'm not sure if they qualify as "great" truths yet, but I'm sure they're coming. Regardless, when I throw I slip into this meditative/prayer land.

Did anyone notice that under "Throwing is hard" I attempted to make a list and only made it passed number 1? WAY TO GO EMMA.




Anyways, before I end this post I want to direct your attention to a new feature of my blog. On my sidebar you will find "Emma's Nutrition Fact of the Week." Very exciting, I know!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Em-
    Since I'm the only one to comment on this blog entry, I think I should get the good pot. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete